burning white car

"Auto repair shop engulfed in flames"

Wrong-way driver

kills woman

A three-vehicle wrong way collision resulted in the death of a 20-year-old woman on Tuesday, July 30, on State Route 101 at Union Hills.

According to the Department of Public Safety, Laiquan Lemon of Goodyear died after a Chevrolet Malibu sedan traveling northbound within the southbound lanes collided with Lemon’s Nissan sedan. The driver of the third vehicle was not injured.

The 22-year-old woman who was driving the Chevrolet Malibu suffered nonlife-threatening injuries. 

Police are investigating whether or not impairment was a factor of the collision.

 

Man arrested for leaving child in locked car

Glendale police arrested a man on July 27 for leaving his 3-year-old daughter in a locked car with the engine and air conditioning off.

According to police, Brian Flores took his daughter to the West Wind Glendale 9 Drive-in, where, reportedly, he left his daughter in the car to get snacks for the movie. Two guests at the theater saw the defendant’s daughter and notified the manager, who then called the police.

When an officer arrived at the scene, the defendant was back at his vehicle. The officer directed the defendant to immediately turn on the vehicle. 

According to police, Flores said he was only gone for five or seven minutes, but it was later reported, with the help of witnesses, the child was alone for at least 15 minutes. The child reportedly did not seem to be in distress.

According to weather.com, Glendale was 100 degrees that day.

The child’s mother took custody of the girl. She said she desired prosecution against the defendant.

Flores was charged with child abuse for permitting his child to be placed in a dangerous situation. He was booked without incident.

 

Auto repair shop engulfed in flames

Vintage Motors Auto Repair shop in Glendale was consumed by a fire after an accident while a mechanic was working on a car.

Glendale Fire Department spokeswoman Ashley Losch said, “It was an unfortunate accident, and thankfully no one lost their life.”

The fire occurred around 1 p.m. July 26. The fire department responded, and the crew was there for six hours. Losch said the fire department kept a fire watch through the night to make sure secondary fires would not break out.

Because of the nature of the materials kept in an auto shop, the fire department categorized it as a hazardous materials assignment, she said.

The fire broke out when a mechanic was working on the gas tank of a car in the shop.

“He was working in the gas tank of a car and had some fuel spill onto him, and when he turned to go change his clothes, he heard that the tank was still leaking. He went back to secure the leak and some ignition source caught that gasoline, causing the fire to start,” Losch said.

Multiple cars and businesses in the area were damaged.

The mechanic who was injured, with the help of his peers, put out the fire on his clothing, but he did sustain burns to his arm and legs. He was hospitalized.