Ray Watkins

Ray Watkins was shot and killed outside his business, the Astrology Store, in downtown Glendale. 

Within 24 hours, six people were shot in three unrelated shootings in or near downtown Glendale.

Three died, including Ray Watkins, co-owner of the Astrology Store. 

One suspect remains at large, said Jay O’Neill of the Glendale Police Department. A second suspect is in custody. A third suspect died of a self-inflicted gunshot.

The first shooting was at 7:14 p.m. Friday, Jan. 24, at 4748 W. Sierra Vista Drive.

Two adult males, ages 18 and 26, were shot and both were transported to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries. The suspect was not found, police said. There was no suspect information.

Ten minutes later and less than 3 miles away, three men were shot at 6817 N. 63rd Avenue.

Glendale resident Jose Ayala, 51, died at the scene. His son Louis Ayala, 19, also was found with a gunshot wound. He was transported to a hospital for injuries that were not life-threatening.

Police say Robert Mahoney, 58, of Scottsdale, shot the two before shooting himself.

“Mahoney was known to Ayala due to previous business dealings and it is believed at this point those relationships were the motive for the homicide,” according to a police statement.

Just after 6 p.m. Saturday, Watkins, 53, was shot and killed in the alley behind his downtown Glendale business.

O’Neill said an Investigation revealed the suspect, who was known to the victim and other employees of the business, arrived just after the business closed and tried to make entry through the front door. 

“When the suspect located the locked front door, he went around to the back where he encountered Watkins and another female employee. After shooting Watkins, the suspect then returned to the front of the business and broke through the glass front door. A male employee inside hid, and the suspect eventually fled on foot as Glendale Police Officers arrived,” said O’Neill.

Sean Davidson, 21, of Glendale, was identified as the suspect. 

The Arizona Department of Public Safety alerted the Glendale Police they had Davidson in custody following a pursuit. 

“While the investigation is still on-going, Davidson made statements implicating himself in the homicide and additional evidence has been located which corroborates his involvement,” O’Neill said.

After his release from a hospital, Davidson was taken to jail on first-degree murder charges.