The Glendale Fire Department

The Glendale Fire Department responded to a fire at an apartment near Northern and 52nd avenues early Monday. A woman died from apparent smoke inhalation.

A woman died in a Glendale apartment fire early Monday, Jan. 13.

Chris James, a spokesman for the Glendale Fire Department, said a fire was reported around 2:30 a.m. in an apartment complex near Northern and 52nd avenues.

“The residents on the second-floor apartment smelled smoke and called 911 when they found the patio below them was on fire and catching their apartment on fire,” said James.

He said four people and two dogs were in the apartment where the fire started.

“One female was burned badly with smoke inhalation. Fire crews tried to save her but she succumbed to her injuries,” James said.

A man in his 20s was also burned and suffered smoke inhalation, “he was treated and transported to a burn unit,” James said.

There was no update on the man’s condition at press time.

Two people and one dog were not injured. Another dog died, James said.

Wilma Vancil, the woman who lives in the apartment where the fire started, told the Glendale Star she was in bed when she was awakened.

“Me and my boyfriend were in bed sleeping and I heard this big bang on the door,” Vancil said.

“Someone was pounding on the door. And all I hear is (her friend) saying, ‘There’s a fire. We have to get out,’ and I grabbed my two dogs and ran out.”

She said as she was escaping her apartment, she could already see the fire breaking through the porch sliding doors.

“If it hadn’t been for that pounding on the door, we could’ve died in there too,” Vancil said.

She said she lost almost everything and she doesn’t know where she will go.

The American Red Cross was assisting displaced residents.