Glendale Police Department vehicles An “illegal party”

An overhead photo taken the day after the officer-involved shooting shows the location of the Glendale Police Department vehicles. An “illegal party” was held in a parking lot to the left of the police vehicles.

On Friday, Nov. 23, Glendale Police released video and more information regarding the Oct. 13 shooting of  Levy Isaac Madueno Santibanez, 17.

Dylan Ansell, a four-year veteran of the Glendale Police Department, was named for the first time as the officer who fatally shot Santibanez.

Santibanez, who lived in Phoenix, was one of more than 200 teenagers and young adults who were at what police call “an illegal party” in an industrial area near Grand and Northern avenues.

Ansell told investigators he saw Santibanez fire in the direction of a crowd and Santibanez ignored his directions to put his hands in the air. A gun was found in Santibanez’s waistband.

Footage shows Ansell responding to a “shots fired” 911 call at 2:44 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 13. 

Footage from Ansell’s body camera shows — as he pulls up to a location on the 7800 block of N. 68th Avenue, scores of teenagers are casually walking away from what police called “an illegal party.”

Seconds after Ansell arrives at the scene, the sound of gunfire can be heard on the footage. “Shots fired, step it up,” Ansell can be heard saying over his police radio.

In the seconds following, Ansell’s voice is heard calling out “Hands up” multiple times before more gunfire is heard.

This second round of gunfire was Ansell firing four rounds from his rifle. According to Jay O’Neill, a Glendale police spokesman, three of the bullets Ansell fired hit Santibanez, “one in the side, two in the back.”

Police also released surveillance video from a nearby business, appearing to show Santibanez turning to look over his shoulder twice while running away.

“He turned twice towards the officer (Ansell),” O’Neill said. 

O’Neill said Ansell told investigators he shot Santibanez because “he knew he was armed and had fired into a crowd and was heading towards other people.

“The other aspect is Santibanez turned towards (Ansell) two times and Officer Ansell could not see where the gun was,” O’Neill said.

O’Neill clarified Santibanez was not actively shooting his gun when he was shot.

According to a police statement released Friday, “Glendale Police Officers removed the gun from the suspect’s front waistband.”

The party was staged in  the parking lot of an industrial building. Though Ansell’s body camera footage is not always clear, Santibanez can be seen leaving the party. He was in the street when Ansell shot him.

O’Neill said, according to Ansell’s statements, the officer saw Santibanez turn and fire in the direction of the party. “Officer Ansell fired when he feared for the lives of those still fleeing the area and for his own life,” O’Neill said.

Though he stressed the investigation into the officer-involved-shooting will continue, O’Neill said it appears Ansell’s actions were justified.

“I can tell you there is no indication at this time Officer Ansell failed to follow any policies and procedures or acted outside the law,” O’Neill said.

“Officer Ansell did everything I would expect him to do.”

According to Friday’s Glendale Police statement:

• The gun Santibanez had in his possession was a Glock .40 handgun. During the incident, Glendale Police Officers removed the gun from the suspect’s front waistband. The officers removed the live round in the chamber as well the magazine. The magazine had a capacity of 15 .40 caliber rounds and contained 10 rounds when it was unloaded later during the investigation. A related investigation revealed Santibanez was in possession of a .40 Glock handgun with an extended magazine earlier on Oct. 13.

• A second magazine was found by the officers in Santibanez’s left front pants pocket and was removed. It had a capacity of 29 .40 caliber rounds and contained 26 rounds when it was unloaded later during the investigation.

• There were three .40 caliber shell casings recovered from the same area where Glendale Police first saw Santibanez standing and firing. The National Integrated Ballistics Information Network (NIBIN) forensically matched those casings to the gun recovered from Santibanez’s waistband, showing Santibanez was firing from the position where Ansell first observed him.

• Glendale Police fired no other rounds than the four rifle rounds fired at Santibanez.

• Other than the shots fired from Santibanez, Glendale Police Detectives recovered more than 40 spent shell casings from the area of the illegal party, which have been traced back to more than a half-a-dozen different weapons fired.

After Santibanez was shot, more shots are heard being fired. O’Neill said police are investigating the sources of the other gunfire believed to have come from at least six guns.

O’Neill said the investigation into the officer-involved shooting will continue, likely for months. Anyone with information on the case is asked to call the Glendale Police Department at 623-930-3000.