A Christmas tree is the likely culprit of a Thursday, Jan. 2, house fire on Ironwood Drive.
“The fire started in the home and all three residents that were home at the time safely made their way out,” said Ashley Losch, a Glendale Fire Department spokeswoman.
“Crews arrived to find heavy smoke and fire from the home. They quickly extinguished it, but there was extensive damage to the home.”
She said the Red Cross is assisting the family and no injuries were reported.
“The homeowner states it started with the Christmas tree,” Losch said.
She offered this advice:
“If you even think your tree is dry, do not turn on the lights. It is not worth it. Trees that are 7 feet tall require a gallon of water a day. We live in a very dry climate and the trees are going to feel that. If the needles fall off when you run your fingers across the branch it is too dry.
“Do not risk the safety of your family for a tree full of lights.”